World of Threads, Part 3


Well, I didn't say which Monday I would post, did I? :) *
Last part of World of Threads, this from the second site; The Living Arts Centre in Mississauga, Ontario.

 
This piece is by Alexander Hernandez called "Leopard Beard", and is embroidered applique on satin.

 

This piece is by Barbara Bryn Klare, called "Modern Sampler". BSP found it very amusing, I found it quite moving  - both of us agreed it was a tale of a broken heart.


This piece is by Barbara Rehus of  St. Catharines, Ontario entitled "Today I think I might look Pretty". The piece was a puppet assemblage with a real mirror. Neither of us were sure how it fit into "World of Threads" but we weren't curating! 

 
This piece was by Chris Motley, of San Francisco CA, called "Up, Really Down & Up Again". BSP had a very specific, visceral reaction; I felt nothing. It reminded me of when we saw the Rothko show in New York a few years back: there were pieces there that broke my heart, moved me to tears, struck me silent. BSP felt zero. Art is really wonderful that way!
 


As you know, I'm fond of all things wee, so these tiny streetscapes by created by Dolores Slowinski, of Detroit MI, were very enjoyable for me, and very sweet. They were composed of hand-made paper and embroidered.


Apparently, I just couldn't manage to take a straight photo in front of this piece, so my apologies to Geneviéve Moisan, of Montréal, Canada  who made this brocaded jacquard weaving.

 
Jennifer Petus, of Aurora, Colorado loom knitted and machine embroidered her piece called "Feathering", which featured found objects as well.


This piece, called "Beautiful Story of a Broken Family" was made by Marzena Ziejka, Chicago IL.


Pauline M.M. Nijenhuis, of Zutphen, Netherlands, hand embroidered "Fast Landscape Yellow Car".


Shawna Munro of Amherstburg, Ontario, embroidered and cross stitched these pieces.



And Suzanne Hesh of Tuscon Arizona created "First Person", with paint and machine embroidery.
Lastly, my favourite piece at this location came all the way from Rochester Kent, in the UK, and was made by Rosie James - called "Song of the Shirt".
 

…and a detail:


However, a note about this venue location.
I was quite disappointed with it. In addition to being an hour from the main venue, it was quite unprofessionally handled.
 
We drove there on a Saturday, only to find the building seemingly completely deserted (it was a large theatre centre and we gathered afterwards, community art centre.)  There was no signage indicating where World of Threads was, and after finding a small sign attached to an even smaller doorbell at the front desk, we followed the instructions and pushed for the attendant.
Although we could hear voices talking in the back room behind the counter of the front desk, and though we pushed several times; it was took about 20 minutes before someone appeared. We only waited because we had driven so far.
When the person finally appeared, they were angry that we had pushed the button so many times and told us that they were taking calls for tickets sales, which was why they had taken so long to answer the doorbell. They told where the show was, and after taking the elevator up, we found a glassed in gallery with a locked door, no evidence of any person, and a sign saying to ask at the front desk to be let in!!
I went back down and waited again, only to be told that they would have to call "the person who is supposed to be sitting there" on her cell and ask her to come back.
I'm stubborn, so despite BSP's protests, we waited 40 minutes all told to see the show.
We felt that rather than indicating where the satellite show was, the brochures and web presence should have indicated that going to see the show M-F would be best. In addition, the staff at the satellite show should be trained to talk about not only their show; but to talk about the main show venue. The woman sat at the desk and said not a single word to us the entire time we were there; and nothing more than "Bye!" as we left.
The end result was that, although we though this satellite show was interesting, if we had not already seen the main show it would not have been enough to compel us to go to the main venue; which would have been a terrible shame, as *that* show was wonderful, and well worth seeing multiple times.
Show season is just about over - I intend to see Dorothy Caldwell's solo show at the David Kaye Gallery before it closes in a couple of weeks, but that'll be it for a few months as I don't think we're going to Quilts=Art=Quilts this year.
So I'll look forward to reporting on next year's shows in 2017.
______________________________________________________________________________
 

And if you're still with me after all this blather, a note about why I got distracted from posting this!

A local FB friend offered to sell me her mother's stash. I had fabric stars in my eyes and was pretty excited about what I could see of the trims in particular, but when I talked to BSP about it, I got the "Are you crazy?!" lecture, with an added "And exactly where will you put this influx?"
(What is up with people and their practical considerations? It's FABRIC.)

Nevertheless, I decided that before adding such a sizeable amount to my current stash, I really should figure out where it was going to live, since I had nine dressers, three large sized Kallax units from IKEA and 6 or 7 bins of fabric in my studio at the time I was considering adding someone *else's* stash to mine.
It took me literally seven days of working 5-7 hours per day; but my studio has been purged, is organized, and get this - LABELLED.  lol Not only is there a place for everything and everything in its place; I don't have to rely on my post-menopausal brain to remember where it is!

Now truthfully, only two thirds of the dressers are organized, and I still have two columns of floor-ceiling-bins in storage that need to be moved to my studio; but let's not talk about that right now! After living in our "new" house for 2.5 years; hallelujah, my studio is finally organized.
Whoopee!

I have two weeks of holidays coming up over Christmas, and I'm going to get to the bins and the rest of the drawers then. So, I'll have everything in one spot, and actually know where things are. I know right?
CRAZY.

P.S. I didn't end up buying the stash! ;)
 

Kit Lang

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing World of Threads, Parts One, Two, and Three with those of us who were unable to take in the show. Your photos were tremendous.

    ReplyDelete